What To Do During Pitru Paksha?
What should be done during shradh
Remember your ancestors
One should remember their ancestors during shradh or pitru paksh. Remembering and performing the shradh rituals for our ancestors plays a vital role in the coming good life in our family lineage. We should try to remember at least last 7 ancestors from the maternal and paternal side. It is also our duty to pass on this message to our next generations. You should make your children know the importance of remembering their ancestors during shradh.
Shradh puja for ancestors
We should perform puja for peace and liberation of the departed soul. Pitru Paksha is considered as an important occasion for providing salvation to deceased souls. Once it is performed, souls are satisfied and attain salvation (moksha). If souls of our ancestors are not satisfied it can lead to manifold troubles, distress and pain for their descendants.
Pitru Paksha Rules
One should take care regarding the following before proceeding with the shradh puja
- One should only use cow milk, curd and ghee for shradh rituals
- utensils used for shradh rituals should be of silver. Those who cannot afford can use phool utensils
- we should put extra thought into the offerings we give to our ancestors. offer food to your ancestors open heartedly and should give preference to white items while making offerings to our ancestors like rice, milk, curd
- Persons performing the rituals for their ancestors should always wear white clothes while performing them.
- One should only offer white flowers with no fragrance
- Pitra pujan should always be done between 11 A.M to 3 P.M
- Pitra pujan is preferred to be done in an open area or river banks
- Always try to get the puja performed by learned brahmins
- Daan during pitra paksha should be given to learned brahmins, poor and needy
- Grains should be given to birds especially pigeon and food should be fed to animals especially cow, dogs, and fish
- Offering Paneer to Crows, during pitra paksha is considered very auspicious.
- After completion of the rituals close your eyes and remember all your maternal and paternal ancestors and say
“hey maerae purvajo, punya aatmao, apne vansh ke baccho ko aashirwaad dekaar dhanya karo”
For more information on shradh puja and daan